How MASSAGE THERAPY Called Sharyl Wren

Massage therapy was never on my radar growing up. As a very young girl, I tried my hand at hair cutting and styling (read: cutting!) and there were some neighborhood moms who weren't too happy about my desires in that direction! When I got a little older, I fantasized about being Nancy Drew and solving the mysteries of the world. For many years, I wanted to be an archaeologist and travel the globe looking for treasures (Pompeii, Italy is still my dream destination!) I wrote poetry and short stories. I composed love songs. I wanted to design beautiful homes (which I actually graduated from college prepared to do). Many dreams and desires, but none of them involving massage.

In early summer of 2000, on an ordinary day of doing ordinary things, a quiet voice whispered into my head, "Sharyl, it's time to go to massage therapy school." I was very surprised and wondered if I had just made that up. I told my husband and we both had a good laugh. You see, I had only had a few massages in my life several years previously due to a shoulder injury. Even though my shoulder healed quickly and completely, the massages felt painful and I vowed no more massages for me - ever! I ignored the voice and life continued on.

Some weeks passed and one day, the quiet voice returned and once again told me to go to massage therapy school. This time, my husband and I decided that I should check out massage schools. Besides, if I didn't find one that I liked, I would be off the hook. I went to several schools in the area and even though they had excellent reputations, they just didn't click for me. I was about to forget about the massage thing for good, when a friend suggested a school up in Salt Lake City that was just starting up. I went to check it out and the rest is, well...

I graduated from the Institute For Advanced Bodyworks in April, 2002. Through my training in massage and bodywork, I have come to understand a whole new meaning to my life and my purpose on the planet. Massage therapy called me - I answered - and I am so grateful!